Friday, October 8, 2010

Unknown

Q. I was wondering how long it took you to be accepted into the different religion? I was just wondering how long it took you to convert?

A. Converting to Islam is easy. There are no special classes that need to be taken, as you mentioned for Catholicism. The only requirement to covert to Islam is by saying the Shahada. The Shahada is the first Pillar (of 5 pillars) in Islam. The Shahada should be said in front of at least one witness and can be said in Arabic (the language of the Quran) or in the converts native tongue and goes like this:

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله ( ilâha illallâh, Muḥammadur rasûlullâh) (in Arabic)
There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God. (in English)

Once someone takes the Shahada they are Muslim. Muslims, love Muslims converts and they are accepted immediately into the religion and community. In communities who have Islamic Centers, Mosques, or a Muslim community, there are classes which are taught for all Muslims (and sometimes non-Muslims are welcome as well). Many new Muslims attend these classes to learn more about their religion and build new relationships.

I converted after many years of studying the religion and taking Comparative Religion classes at the University level. Contrary to popular belief, women who marry Muslim men are not required to convert and the Quran states that a Muslim man can marry a Muslim, Christian or a Jew; however, when a Muslim woman marries she must marry a Muslim man (convert or born Muslim). Therefore, I did not have any pressure to convert, as people often think. In fact, I did not convert until we had been married for 7 years! I took my time learning, studying, praying until the truth was obvious to me. It is difficult for my family at times; however, I have never questioned my decision. It is not only my chosen religion, it is my religion, and I thank God for blessing me with Islam.

No comments:

Post a Comment